Monday, August 3, 2009

First Day in New House!

Well, after lots of packing (132 boxes) and stress with movers and some rain and closing on both the condo and the house all in one day, we finally got to unlock the doors to our new home. It really was a super exciting moment! From the second we got there though, it was pretty chaotic: like I said we had movers and rain, Vic's family staying with us, my dad in town for a visit, other drop-by visitors, appliance deliveries, dish network setup, re-keying of locks, trips to stock the house (sam's, bed bath and beyond, grocery store), unpacking, organizing, etc.! It was lots of fun, but very exhausting that first weekend. To be honest, I don't think Vic and I have caught up on sleep yet! There is just so much to remember and do and to be honest, I've been pretty proud of myself and Vic for doing a good job. I enjoy learning as I go and getting excited over the new nook or cranny we find or idea we come up with as we settle into our new home.

We have decided, however, that we are not going to rush to do anything major as far as decorating. Our new home is truly a blank canvas--freshly painted with neutral colors and we can change hardware, paint, fixtures, etc. over time and not be rushed. I am already excited to shop in catalogs and stores and online to find the right fabric for curtains, knobs for drawers, furniture ideas, paint colors and anything else that we may decide to do to make our house warm and homey! It really is fun and exciting!

I have lots to say about individual things going on at the house, but need to get back to doing some laundry (some things never change: even in a new house! haha). So, here are a few updated pics of some of our things in the home...again, nothing exciting yet. But, give us time--between Vic and I we come up with some great ideas (ok, let's be honest here - some of my talents and ideas truly come from my family as they are the best at being creative but I can't wait to get started on them!)
My camera is getting old and not taking great pictures, but this is Vic, Charley and Mary unpacking the room with the MOST stuff....the KITCHEN! It was amazing how many kitchen/serving items we had packed into that condo. I mean, we had gotten used to having to do to the entertainment center to get corning ware dishes to use, or to the linen closet to get serving platters, or even to under the stairs to get certain appliances, but I don't think we realized how nice it would be in the new house to have all kitchen/serving items in one room! Thank goodness for great organizers like Mary and Janice (Vic's mom) who were pro's at making the kitchen look great!
Slowly, we will get more organized and more furniture and decoration in our home. This, however, is a pic from today. It's amazing how small our furniture looks in this house compared to the condo!
And, even our outside it looking better (note the plants!) . Gosh we sure do love those great big windows! Janice cleaned them until they were as clear and sparkling clean as they could be! However, we do not have curtains or any kind of window coverings yet and it does get a little creepy at night; I mean - people can see in, but we can't see out. Fortunately, we back up to a greenbelt and really the only people who might see in are burglars and I'm really hoping we don't have any of those ever!! Okay - stay tuned! More to come!

1 comment:

  1. 132 boxes?! Can't wait to see the beautiful house... it looks fantastic, and I know you'll make it into a wonderful cozy home!

    ReplyDelete