Thursday, May 16, 2013

Atticus: Sleeping Update

On Tuesday, after I wrote my sleeping issue post, we took Atticus and Grace to their 2 year and 2 month well checks. So, of course, we told our doctor about our sleeping and eating concerns. After listening and asking questions, she ended with saying that this would probably be something we would have to ride out and wait for it to get better. She said it could be terrible twos, a night terror that happened once but that makes him still cry out when he wakes in the middle of the night, random change in sleep patterns, or having major changes in his life (such as a new little sister). She said the whining is probably also part of the terrible twos...oh great. :) But, overall, she checked him over and said he is healthy and to just know that what is happenign is pretty normal. She also said that toddlers can be picky eaters and to go with the flow with his eating. He is gaining weight normally and still in the 75th percentile for height and weight, so she didn't have any concerns about his eating habits.

So, part of me thinks we over reacted and part of me thinks that this is definitely an issue, but it is good to know that it is normal and just something we all need to learn about and get through. Whew.

So, after two weeks of crying, whining, etc. do you know what Atticus has done since we got home from that doctor appointment? He has done everything the exact opposite of what I typed on Tuesday about our concerns over his sleeping. After lunch and a very short nap on Tuesday, he, Grace, and I went outside on the back porch for over 2 hours where he played and was content and happy the entire time. He never whined. Not once. He was funny and sweet. While I held Grace (who was in a tearful mood and I'm thinking it was due to the shots she had earlier that day) to console her, Atticus went in and out of the house occasionally bringing his farm set and then his puzzle and then more animals to play with. He played with bubbles and ate his popsicle nicely. He asked about the birds and then the bugs and then continued to want to check on Grace. At one point, he had been in the house for a few minutes and had left the living room where I could see him through the window. I went in to check on him and found him sitting on his bed in his room quietly looking through his books. That night, I was on my own for getting him fed and into bed because Vic had a Church Council meeting. He not only ate yogurt and crackers, but also some grilled chicken breast without being pushed. He went to bed easily without fussing. I was seriously wondering if this was some kind of joke! 

Tuesday night, Atticus slept the ENTIRE night without waking to cry. And, when he got up the next morning, he didn't fuss or cry and just called out "mama!" when he was ready to get up. This also happened on Wednesday night and Thursday morning and we are hoping it is the new normal. He has been less whiney the last two days also (within reason - he is still a toddler) and just acts like his normal self. Although, I will say that he does still like to be cuddled and has started saying "up" when he wants to be picked up. Usually, he hardly ever wants to be picked up, but I think this is his way of getting attention and kind of acting like a baby. I'm not sure if he sees Grace picked up so much (he also tells me when to make Grace get "up") and just wants to be treated the same?

So, what the heck made him start going back to his normal little self? Who knows. We think it is because we are trying to be more consistent with his routines. But, we expected it to take much longer than a few days. And, most likely, tomorrow will be a different story!

However, that is the update. In other news, his weight right now is 31 pounds and his height is 35 inches.

Here's hoping another night of rest is in our future!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that it's going better! Even if it's temporary, take every Yay Day you can and enjoy it. He is such a sweet little boy with two wonderful parents. Ya'll are doing a great job. :) Give them kisses and hugs for me. --Molly

    ReplyDelete