Friday, November 1, 2013

Potty Training Update

So sorry to leave you hanging on the saga of potty training Atticus. I'm sure you are expecting me to now post saying "hooray! We are done! He is potty trained!". But, I cannot do that. He is not potty trained. Friday, we took a break. The night before, Atticus woke up crying in the middle of the night. After not going back to sleep, I went to his room to check him and asked him if he needed to potty. He said yes and off we went (this was about 1:30 am). But, I found out he had already had an accident in his bed. So, we just put a diaper on for the rest of the night.

And, I decided I didn't want to stay in the house for a third day. So, we left the house for a day out and I put him in a diaper. Then, we were off and on Saturday and Sunday because I was preparing for a baby shower all weekend and Vic had the kids and Atticus was sometimes in underwear, but mostly in diapers. Then, Monday I kept him in a diaper. Monday night, my friend Meghan and I discussed potty training our sons (she is also in the  midst of this with Lane) and she re-inspired me to try some more. So, Tuesday, we went through 3 wet and one poopy diaper in a row without Atticus EVER even telling me he needed to go and I put him back in a diaper. I know - I'm a wimp. But, the poop was gross. And I was frustrated. Frustrated because eventually HE HAS TO TELL ME HE NEEDS TO POTTY! I can't spend every 20 minutes putting him on the potty all day long. I mean- I will if I thought that would help, but even when I do that, he has accidents between those 20 minutes. So, Wednesday and Thursday he was in diapers. Today he was in underwear and had an accident and then we had errands, so he went to a diaper and hasn't gone back to underwear yet (napping now). And then after he gets up from his nap, I want to walk to the park with him and Grace. So, do I put him in a diaper? Or do I put him in underwear? There is no place to use the restroom at the park so he would have to hold it, which is a lot to ask of him and he won't do anyways. And even if there was someplace for him to use the restroom, I think he would still have an accident and I'd have to change his clothes and deal with all of that at the park. So, most likely - diaper it will be.

You can see why this is not an easy task. So many people I have talked to have said "my son was three before he was potty trained" or "I started when he was three" or "when they are ready, it will be easy". Who knows what actually will work for Atticus? We will keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment