Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Atticus' Sleeping Habits

Around November/December, Atticus started coming to our room in the morning about 6:00 or so and laying on the ground, with his blanket, to fall asleep again. It was funny because he knows he should stay in his bed and cannot sleep with us. But, one morning he came and we actually found him outside our room on the floor of the kitchen with his blanket. Then, a couple mornings later, he was on the floor of our room next to Vic's side. Vic started putting a pillow down there for him to lay on. Every morning he would do this and when he woke up around 7:00 or 7:30, he would see us and be up for the day. Well, after Christmas, he started coming to our room and patiently waited until we put him in bed between us. This was still around the same time of the morning, but didn't happen every morning. Then, it progressed to coming to my side to get into bed with us. Then, it progressed to him just climbing over me while I was sleeping and putting himself in between us under the covers. Well, it was adorable and cute and he was snuggly and would typically go right back to sleep. And since it was around 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning, it wasn't worth it to me and Vic to take him back to his room and put him back to bed and deal with an upset little boy who might wake his sister. Then, for a week or so, he started coming about 1:30 in the morning. One night, he was crying so I just stuck him between us and quickly realized that would never work. He just moved around and stuck his feet in our backs so 20 minutes later we were headed back to his bed. We had to fall asleep with him a couple of times to avoid too many tears. But, after that, when it happened in the middle of the night, we just took him back and put him down and he would go back to sleep. Fortunately, that middle of the night stuff stopped and he is back to coming to our room around 6:30 or so to climb into bed. Now, though, as we continue to sleep (well as I continue to sleep - Vic is typically already at the gym), he will either sleep or just lay there and sing softly to himself or talk to himself in a whisper until I wake up. Sometimes I am awake but love listening to him. He is so sweet to not want to wake us and so sweet to just snuggle up with us. I have never been one to want my kids to sleep with me. I want them in their beds and us in our bed. And one day soon I'm sure we will have to nip this  morning routine in the bud, but for now I love it. I get my good night of sleep and I get to wake up to a sweet little boy who is happy and ready for the day. The only drawback is that when I want to wake up early in the morning to exercise or to just be productive before kids wake up, I am not successful. Atticus won't crawl into my bed because I'm already awake, but I also get zero time to myself to get things done. Oh well - I don't really like waking up early anyways, so I just enjoy this instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment