Tuesday, May 19, 2015

"Momfessions"

A blogger I follow, Andrea, at http://www.momfessionals.com/ has a post up today about her "momfessions" or confessions as a mom. So, I thought I'd post a few myself because sometimes you just have to laugh at how ridiculous things can get when you are a mom..

1. No matter how much I try, getting kids out of the house and into the car with all of our necessary items for that particular outing, takes much longer than it should and is ridiculously detailed. So, my best method is to put the kids in the car, buckle them in, turn the car on, push the button for "Shake It Off" to start playing and then go into the house to gather diaper bag, sippy cups, snacks, my purse, and whatever items we need for that day: backpacks, lunchbox, swim items, store returns, mail, etc. I sometime make multiple trips to the car, which usually warrants one or both of the kids telling me of something they forgot (a toy, a book, a snack). But, I much prefer them telling me and letting me find it than them running around the house to find said item. This also allows me to say "no" without as much of a fuss because they are already strapped in. Sometimes, this even means I finish getting dressed really fast or use the restroom or clean up a little in the house while they are in the car. I don't spend very long doing these things, but goodness it's nice to have a few minutes to do what I need. On the other hand, when we get home, I prefer to get everything out of the car and put away before I get the kids out. If I buy groceries, I sometimes leave the car running while I put every grocery away before getting the kids. Time management and multi-tasking is hard enough to do all day long. If the kids are already in secured, I take advantage.

2. Sometimes I lie at Sonic. I LOVE to stop and get a delicious unsweet tea at Sonic. And I don't mind, when we are out all day, getting them some tator tots or a slushy for Atticus. But, they don't always need anything....at least not as much as I need my iced tea. So, sometimes, I will say no. And sometimes, I just tell them Sonic doesn't have tator tots or slushy's or whatever that day.

3. Sometimes I LOVE to do an entire day and night time routine all by myself. Normally, I am itching to see Vic at 5:30 and want help! But, if I know in advance that I'm on my own for that entire day and night, I love the feeling of filling up our day and getting through dinner, dishes, cleanup, baths, stories and bedtime and ending it by sitting on the couch to the quiet house to watch TV. It just makes me feel SO productive and like I've really got this mom thing down. I like it even more if we've had a day of ups and downs and I've gotten through them with 100% patience and not losing my mind. It feels like I've just won first place for the day! Even if I had zero competition in my category of "Atticus and Grace's Mom".

4. I take pictures as if I am going to scrapbook every single one. Or put it on Instragram. 9 times out of 10 when I take a picture on my camera or phone, I am already, subconsciously planning to put it on Instagram or thinking about how to creatively scrapbook it. I don't know why I do that. I know I am not going to do something with every picture I take. But, I have this desire to give instant access to our daily lives as well as this desire to put my kids memories down on paper so they have them long from now. Sometimes I get annoyed with myself because I need to live in the moment more instead of just take pictures. But, I also know that if I don't take the picture, nobody else will either. So, I have this constant tug-o-war inside my head.


5. Sometimes, I like it when the kids are sick. Okay so not completely. I don't want them to be sick, but if they are going to be sick, I am going to enjoy the cuddles and the downtime and I don't even mind throw-up or snotty noses or when they need to be up at night because they can't sleep. I feel like they need me and it makes me feel like a better mom when I can make them feel better.

6. My last momfession, at least for today, is that one time I put both kids in their rooms for almost 3 hours in the morning while I sat on the couch to watch mindless TV and have quiet time. I was at the end of my patience. Atticus knew something was wrong but I just told him to go play in his room. Grace was young enough that she still took morning naps so she just played awhile until she fell asleep. Atticus probably came out at least 4 or 5 times, but I would tell him to go back and he just did. I remember taking him water and a snack at one point. But, I needed quiet time. I just needed it. So, I did what I had to do. I remember feeling SO much better and ready to get back to business after those 3 hours.

These are fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment