I wanted to post a quick little update on Everly at 3 weeks and my postpartum issues. Everly has had another good week; is really filling out more and more everyday. The little wrinkles on her knees are gone!:( She is starting to hold her head up a little more and be more awake in between feedings. She still prefers a routine of waking up to cry and begging for food while we change her diaper. Then, she eats and falls asleep in between feedings and then decides whether to hang out awake for awhile or go right back to sleep.
She is still a great little sleeper! We have had two nights of her just not falling asleep and only wanting to nurse and just being mad. One time, we think she had gas because either exhaustion or gas drops finally worked. The other night was not as bad, but still took her awhile. We have even tried to top her off with a bottle of milk and that has actually worked. So, I'm not sure if she really was hungry (which after nursing constantly, she couldn't be) but something helped with that little ounce in a bottle to put her to sleep. She sleeps SO good in between feedings and has gone about 6 hours per night the last 3 nights. This is so great at 3 weeks old! That has not been the case with Atticus or Grace at this age. This means, that I am only having to get up one time! Her schedule will continue to change, but hopefully it is just to go even longer in between feedings as she gets older. I especially hope this since GG and Grandma are not here anymore! GG stayed 3 weeks and just left yesterday and Mom got to come in for 4 days to help with kids. So, I have had great help!
She sleeps best when swaddled but if she is loose enough for just a daytime nap, she will grunt and groan and pull her arms out, but keep sleeping. She is still in new born size clothes, but within another week or two at the most, I bet we are headed to 0-3 month clothes and size 1 diapers. She is not yet interested in the paci, but I plan to start teaching her to take it soon. I loved it with Grace and I would really like her to use it. She has used her thumb a couple times, but doesn't have that figured out yet. I wouldn't mind her thumb, but a paci is easier to break. Her hair is still so red on top and strawberry blonde around. Her little face is filling out so much and of course, I think she is just so pretty! I have witnessed two tiny little half smiles while she has been awake. I'm anxious for that first smile to come!
Atticus still wants to love her and hold her and kiss her. He actually told me the other day that he would carry her for me, as if it was no big deal. Grace, too, likes to tell us she is cute and touch her hands and toes and now, after Steve taught her Patty Cake, she wants to do Patty Cake with Everly. She also loves to bring Everly her glow-worm that GG bought and turn the music on for "the baby to fall asleep". It's pretty cute!
As far as me, this week has been up and down with nursing. First, as far as my body, I feel really close to back to normal. I cleaned house yesterday and was not sore and exhausted at the end like I was at the end of my pregnancy. I can bend, get on and off the floor, and move around with just some soreness in my abs and around my incision area. So, that has been so great! It's amazing how your body is just not your own when you are pregnant. My little scar that has not healed is still trying to heal, but getting better. The only crazy thing is how dry my skin is! My cuticles and fingers were in pain for a few days because they were so dry! And my face is dry and I can't drink enough water! Anyways, as far as nursing, it changes almost every day, and sometimes every other nursing. As of today, I have gone almost 48 hours with no pain during nursing, but only pain when she latches on. Otherwise, before, I was still having lots of pain latching, nursing and in between. I was switching positions, using ice packs, and pumping instead of nursing a side sometimes. But, in the last two days it has been better. I keep saying I am going back to the lactation specialists but haven't yet because it starts to get better and I get optimistic. Hopefully the current state we are in just keeps getting better. I'm not giving up! I've googled and researched a little thinking her mouth was too small or there was other normal latching issues I could fix on my own, but now I'm starting to think that it is just taking a little extra time for she and I to both figure it out and my body to cooperate. So, fingers crossed! She is still eating 6-7 times in a 24 hour period, so there is never a true break for my body, but it's definitely getting better.
Right now, I am at the house by myself while Everly sleeps. Vic, Atticus and Grace went to OG for the weekend to visit his family and give me a little quiet weekend. I have cleaned house, taken a nap with Everly snuggled up next to me, started binge watching Parenthood, (which by the way, is really good so far at 5 episodes into season 1), and have more plans to get a new daily schedule started for the kids and I, work on some VBS emails, check out birth announcements, and plan a grocery store trip based on Weight Watchers (here we go again!). So, I will get back to that!
No comments:
Post a Comment