Well, that was a good plan. haha! First, let me tell you about my training. My goal was to run a minute/walk a minute for the entire race. I knew I couldn't run the whole thing, but I knew I could jog some of it. So, I decided to just start attempting the 5K on the treadmill with plans to make it to the gym 3-4 times a week for the 5 weeks before the race (that was all I had by the time I decided to participate). I went 5 times total to "train". haha! The best part of this race was that they encouraged you to walk or run, so worse case scenario was that I would just walk the entire thing. I think that's why, subconsciously, I wasn't super stressed about any kind of official "training."
The evening of the race, Saturday, November 22nd, had terribly cold and rainy weather so they postponed it to Sunday afternoon at 5pm. It was confusing because we had to sit in the car line forever to sign waivers to get into the Texas Motor Speedway, where the race began (because Sunday had races going on) and then get parked in fields and then wait for the race to start which didn't have an official start time, except for "dusk". The reason they wanted to wait until dusk was because the last mile or so was running through the lights at Santa's Wonderland and those wouldn't be much fun in daylight. It finally began and I started my 1 minute run / 1 minute walk plan. That worked for a few minutes until we came upon this GIANT hill that left even good, fit, runners making comments about how tough it was. But, then I continued the first mile and a half doing 1 minute runs / I minute walks. I started slowing down after that, but would jog a little here and there until the end, which of course I ran for the last bit of the race. I mean, doesn't everyone want to "run through the finish line!"? Overall, it was really fun. Sometimes, I would think about how fun it would be to run/walk with a friend, but then I would change my mind and decide that I liked doing what I needed at my own pace and enjoyed the quiet 3.1 miles of "me" time.
So, aside from the race, Vic and I were trying to be proactive in making this a fun evening for the kids as well. If Vic would have dropped me off for the race and had to keep kids entertained until I crossed the line, he would have been doing this for about 2 hours and then we would still want to walk through Santa's Wonderland together and the kids would be done and exhausted and most likely cranky. So, we decided that he would leave when I text him that the race was beginning. As soon as I got to Hwy 6 to run over the overpass, I noticed that all traffic was stopped on the bypass for the runners. I called Vic fast to tell him NOT to exit but he had just exited. So, our first thought was that he would have to wait until after the race to get in which would make for a long time of kids sitting in the car and Atticus asking "Are we there yet?" Then, later we realized that the parking we used 2 years ago when we went was no longer there and he had to go to park at the Motor Speedway too. That would definitely be a hassle. Then, after the race, I realized there were a MILLION people inside Santa's Wonderland and it would be miserable to even have the kids try to do anything there. (Side note: I truly thought with the race happening and it not even being Thanksgiving yet, that this place would be relaxed and nobody would be there, but I was VERY wrong!)
So, after crossing the finish line and throwing myself a small pity party that they were not there to meet me, and while Vic and I couldn't get through to one another hardly on the phone in the chaos of this place, we both decided to just go home. Of course, it's tough telling a toddler about doing something fun and then changing our minds so Vic had to deal with tears. And it took me a little while to get back to my car because I had to ride the bus back. But, in the end, even if they would have made it in effortlessly and met me on time, it was NOT the night to go because the kids wouldn't have had fun anyways. So, isn't it funny how things work out just the right way every single time we worry and get frustrated?
So, after seeing the results online, my final time was 46:03 minutes for my 3.1 miles. I honestly think if I would have just powerwalked it, I would have a very similar time. My jog is not very fast and I tend to walk a little slower on the walking minutes because I'm catching my breath! ha! But, I wasn't last place so that was a plus! You all know I love numbers, so here you go: 592 runners total; 438 of those were women; 97 ages 30-39 in women. I was 72nd in the 30-39 for women; 302nd out of the 438 women; and 427th out of the 592 total people. And my pace was 14:51 min/mile. So, while these aren't great, I'll take it because if nothing else, it gives me something to beat if I do more 5K's in the future. It really was a fun experience!
So, initially we thought me might go another night to Santa's Wonderland and then wondered if that was even a good idea since this place seems so crowded. Plus, this place is NOT cheap. It costs about $11 per adult and a little less per kid to get in on the "super saver" nights which are about 8 nights at the beginning of December. And when you get in, nothing is free. You have to pay to get into the petting zoo, pay to ride the train, pay for any fun treats, pay for Santa pictures. But, Vic seemed positive about it, so we set out on Tuesday night, December 2nd, to go see if 3rd time was a charm (we did this for the 1st time back when Atticus was 18 months about 2 nights before Christmas and while okay, it was also a crazy chaotic night of crowds!).
It was great!! There were only families and little kids there. It was not crowded at all, but still had an exciting Christmasy atmosphere! It really is neat. Everything is lit up and decorated and feels like an old western town. There was plenty of live music and shopping and fake snow and a s'mores firepit, which we treated Atticus to. We hit up the petting zoo first (this was actually the only thing Atticus cared about when coming in). Atticus and Vic rode the little train around. We got the s'mores and listened to music and watched some cloggers dance. Finally, we were out of things to do and about to head home when Atticus decided he wanted to see Santa. So, Santa's house is on one side of the town and when we got there, there was hardly a line so we got in line to see Prancer and wait to visit Santa. Atticus decided he did not want to see Santa after a few minutes and since this is his first year to even know who Santa was and because he is so cautious, I wasn't going to push him at all. But, at the end, he asked to see him again. So, we got back in line and waited about 15 minutes. The bad part....I thought they were going to make us pay just to see Santa. I knew everyone was paying for pictures, but not only did we not have enough cash to buy pictures, I didn't want to spend the $15 minimum plus more for the pictures. As neat as this place is, they know how to charge too much money. Grace and Vic went off to run around and Atticus and I stayed in line. We got towards the front and asked if we could just let Atticus talk to Santa and not have his picture made. The guy looked surprised but said it was fine. Now, first let me say that I am addicted to pictures of my kids and remembering moments through pictures so it hurt me that I wouldn't have pictures of this happening. But, I wasn't going to pay for them and there was a sign that said "no pictures beyond this point" so I put my phone in my pocket.
As Atticus waited in line, he was a little nervous but I kept asking if he was sure he wanted to see him and he did. I asked him what he would talk to Santa about and what he would ask for. He told me he was going to ask for a Dromedary. And he told me he didn't want to sit in Santa's lap. So, it became our turn and we walked in. This was a really good Santa. He wore a cowboy hat and was dressed western. He was a big, tall Santa but was seated and asked Atticus to come in. I told him Atticus didn't want to sit in his lap and then I just watched.
This is the magical memory I never want to forget. Atticus was nervous, but I was so proud when he walked up to Santa all by himself and didn't even expect me to go with him or get shy. He smiled and Santa talked to him. Atticus looked over at me for a moment and grinned. Santa talked to him some more and while I wasn't paying attention to everything he was saying, I was just memorizing this picture into my mind because it was this big, authentic, jolly, Santa looking down at small Atticus standing in front of him. Atticus looked so sweet and happy. It was one of those moments of realizing that children are so naïve and accepting and believe all the good things we teach them. And the one thing I did hear Santa say, because I was waiting to help clarify if needed, was asking him what he wanted for Christmas. Atticus quietly said "a dromedary" and smiled and then Santa asked for a hug and Atticus hugged him and Santa said goodbye and we walked out. It was the best Santa experience I could have imagined. It wasn't rushed or in front of tons of people waiting in line at the mall; Atticus didn't have siblings around to interrupt him; he wasn't shy and he was genuinely enjoying meeting Santa.
Ah - it's just because I'm his mom that it was so special. And do you know what is funny? I remember looking over mid-way through and realizing that the photographer and guy that led us in were sitting down looking at their phones and not paying any attention to us. I totally could have snapped some silent iPhone pictures of this entire event and they wouldn't have even known or probably cared. But, again - funny how things work out. I might not have soaked in this moment nearly as much if I knew I could get it all on camera.
We headed out, much to Atticus' sadness, because he really preferred going back to the petting zoo one more time (of course that would have cost us another $3/kid).
Atticus found a dromedary in the petting zoo. We actually expected him to be more excited but after seeing him, he was pretty much ready to see the other animals.
Paid $5.00 for s'mores ingredients and then had to make them ourselves. Actually, the fun part was making them ourselves, but it was kind of silly to pay $5 for some chocolate, a graham cracker and a couple of marshmallows. Atticus loves s'mores though!
On the lit up train - it was so tiny but Vic managed to squeeze in there.
A view of one part of the town.
Atticus looks like he was yelling at Grace right here. I know that she squealed when she saw Prancer....as she squeals when seeing any animal or kid or anything else that is either fun or that she doesn't like. Lots of squealing in our lives right now. And sometimes, the squeal is more of a scream.
This was Grace, who kept looking into the window of Santa's house. She doesn't know who Santa is yet so she didn't sit on his lap, but I just hope she didn't end up in the background of somebody's precious, expensive, Santa photos!
My sweet, kissable, girl in the lights!
It was a good night and if we go again in the future, we will definitely choose a weeknight early in the month of December to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment